Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Catherine's Palace at Pushkin

Today was our last full day in Russia, and we went to Catherine's Palace at Pushkin. It was built for Tsarina Elizabeth and she named it in honor of her mother, Catherine I.

The palace was badly damaged during World War II, but about 20 of the state rooms are now opened. For a fee, pictures are allowed inside in all the rooms except for the Amber Room. This room is completely covered in amber. The Nazis looted the original amber panels but they were either lost or destroyed while in transit. The panels in the current Amber Room are reproductions.

2 comments:

  1. Hi--are you the jgrande who posted photos of Catherine Palace on flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgrande/sets/72157623047986522/? I might want to use some on a blog I just started. How do I contact you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi--are you the jgrande who posted photos of Catherine Palace on flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgrande/sets/72157623047986522/? I might want to use some on a blog I just started. How do I contact you?

    ReplyDelete