Monday, April 11, 2005

First day in Kanazawa

This morning, I went to the Sakada Gold and Silver Leaf Shop and saw a brief demonstration on how gold leaf is made. They also served tea that contained gold leaves.

From there I went to the Higashi Chaya District and saw exteriors of old giesha houses. After that, I went to Kenrokuen Garden. Admission happened to be free. Near the garden, I also visited the Seisonkaka Villa.

From Kenrokuen, I headed down to the Nishi Chaya district to the Kutani Kosen Pottery Studio. It was pretty hard to find. I actually walked right past it. After walking for a little bit longer, I figured I must have missed it and paid closer attention to the kanji signs.

Right now, I'm sitting in an internet cafe ("Cyber Cafe Freaks") which costs money since my hotel in Kanazawa doesn't have internet access and all the computers at the Ishikawa Pref International Exchange Association library were occupied. After this, I'm going to head the Nagamachi Samurai District.

No comments:

Post a Comment